Skip to main content

First Session

My first session was coincidental. It happened on a Monday, early April. During the weekend I was so messed up, I couldn't sleep well, which really then messed my emotions. I was heavily thinking of A. I was confused. Why am I feeling this way? This isn't love, but it goes far beyond infatuation. It's already more than one and a half year, and he's still stuck in my head.

So I looked up the internet. Types of love. Kinds of love. Then I found this term: limerence. I kept browsing, it got more interesting. Then I found limerence.net, which 98% of what's described there fit my conditions. Now I know what's happening to me. I was sick, heavily addicted, to love.

Luckily, I can get a session with the psychologist the next day. I printed out the pages, ask her to read them. Then ask her how I can be healed.  How does she cure people with addiction? How can I get A out of my mind. How can I be sick like this? You know why? Because limerence is love addiction.

She said that there are some mainstream ways to cure addiction, but she need to assess me some more. In the article, it was mentioned that it mostly happened with growing up having a narcissistic parent, I tried to explore that but she said considering I grew up as a pretty much healthy and normal being, she didn't think it was the main reason. I agreed, my parents were just a bit narcissistic, like most parents anyway, so that's not the core issue. But she agreed that this will have something to do with the relationship with my parents.

We talked a lot about my parents, but it didn't get concluded. Still lot more to dig. Also there's another client waiting so we discussed ways to stop the addiction. Basically there's three ways. A total full stop, a No Contact, says the limerence article. Flooding method, where clients got exposed  in the substance in high dose high enough to make them feel so sick they don't want the thing anymore. And last, slowly but sure behavioral intervention, combined with replacement drugs.

I'm not sure I can do the first one, but I said I'd give it a try.

She also said I shouldn't be in a rush, because it may harm me more. I just have to make sure to choose a method of therapy, to help me process my mind and my emotions, on a daily basis. That's how I choose to write again. And to give a push for my self, I joined a one month blog writing contest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

this kid

For her upcoming 8th birthday, she have everything plan out. (Most probably an Intuitive, yup, since her birthday won't be here until another two months). She already plan how it will be celebrated. Her father and I never celebrate our birthdays so her images of birthdays are definitely not from us. She plans what she wants to eat. Quite anti mainstream because she requested "nasi and kremesan". She plans when it will be held (not on her actual birth day because she wants to celebrate it with her cousin and relatives in her father's hometown). She also plans who she is going to invite. What amaze me the most is she has this idea that her cousins will give her presents which she already has prepared earlier herself. So today I drove her to this stationery store, not a fancy one, just one near her school. She then bought pretty much everything she needs and wants for her birthday. She choose the cute stuffs she wants as her present, pick the pretty boxes and bags to put

Understanding and Curing Limerence

(Excerpt from limerence .net , nothing was written by me) The phases of limerence Like other addictions, we see limerence originating from early life psychological wounding. We use it to fill a hole in our soul.  We  describe  limerence as the mother of all distractions and when working with clients in limerence we are  curious to uncover what is it the person avoiding dealing with?  So often there is deep unresolved emotional pain. The client has protected themselves by covering their hearts over the years and decades with layers and layers of reinforced concrete.  This was a survival mechanism necessary from growing up in a dysfunctional and often narcissistic family system. The reality is limerence never lasts – typically it spans from 6-36 months. Just long enough for us to pair-bond and continue the survival of the species. Recent advances in neuroimaging and neurochemistry are now mapping out these pathways for romantic love. We also feel limerence is a gateway to grief. It ma